A Smart Snack must be one of the following:
- a grain product that contains 50 percent or more whole grains by weight (i.e., lists a whole grain as the first ingredient);
- have as the first ingredient a fruit, a vegetable, a dairy product, or a protein food;
- a combination food that contains at least ¼ cup of fruit and/or vegetable.
When it comes to drinks, allowed beverages include the following:
- plain water (with or without carbonation);
- unflavored low fat milk;
- unflavored or flavored fat-free milk and milk alternatives;
- 100% fruit or vegetable juice;
- calorie-free, flavored water (with or without carbonation);
- flavored and/or carbonated beverages that contain less than 5 calories per 8 fluid ounces or ≤10 calories per 20 fluid ounces.
Source of information: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2016/09/20/why-school-meals-matter/