- Know that you have choices that are empowering.
- Know that it is not easy to change old, established life patterns, but they can be changed for the better.
- Know that only you can begin the change for your personal situation.
- Know that everyone around you may not be thrilled with your empowerment because that frequently means that they, too, have to make changes. How about approaching it as a team change, where you all grow. Hold no judgements!
- Once your caregiver realizes you are fully committed to getting well, he/she will then be inspired to encourage you in your commitment. The caregiver, too, needs to be encouraged and enlightened in order to make positive changes.
- Know that you are not alone.
Source of information: http://ahha.org/selfhelp-articles/for-patients-and-caregivers-who-feel-overwhelmed/